The Arqus European University Alliance is a cooperation between the Universities of Bergen, Granada, Graz, Leipzig, Lyon , Padua, and Vilnius, which is funded by the European Commission. Arqus aspires to:
- enhance the education of critically engaged European and global citizens who are able and willing to contribute to a multicultural, multilingual and inclusive Europe which is open to the world;
- increase and improve the joint research capacity of the partner universities;
- better respond to the grand societal challenges of the 21st century in Europe and beyond.
The Arqus Action Line 6 Research Support and Early Stage Researcher Development has developed initiatives to support doctoral candidates and doctorate holders in making their skills and knowledge available to employers outside the university context. One of these initiatives is the Arqus PhD Week for Careers outside Academia.
This event will take place on the premises of the Unicorn (Center for Knowledge and Innovation Transfer ZWI) on the campus of the University of Graz from October 13 to 15, 2021.
Around 60 participants - doctoral researchers, PhD graduates and career development experts - from the seven universities of the Arqus alliance will meet with local entrepreneurs to work together. In case of travel restrictions, there will be an online version of the event.
In addition to cooperating in an international and multicultural environment, the main aims of the PhD Career Week are to train doctoral researchers and PhD graduates to develop skills for careers outside academia. Participants will
- become aware of their competencies,
- be empowered to make them explicit to others,
- learn to develop entrepreneurial (and intrapreneurial) projects
- be trained in opening up professional opportunities and increasing their employability.
 Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3 and Université Jean Monnet at Saint-Etienne.