Communicating research is a key competence for a career in academia - and it is a transferable skill for academia-adjacent roles. The PostDoc Office's workshop and event programme regularly offers formats on public engagement (February) and science communication on social media (December). In addition, you will find opportunities here:
- Science Ambassadors volunteer to visit schools, where they talk about their research field and professional career. You can participate in customized trainings in Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck as well as online via Zoom, which prepare you for school outreach.
Watch out for new calls for proposals from research funders.
- e.g.: ÖAW: Trust in Science Initiative offers funding for professional videos on your own research.
- e.g. Sparkling Science
- FWF Wissenschaftskommunikationsprogramm (WKP)
Get in direct contact with your target groups and try out your stagecraft at these events!
- #LNF24 Long Night of Research
- Pint of Science Austria
- European Researchers' Night
- Science Slam Styria
Get to know the 7th Faculty.
- Innovative event formats, hands-on labs and a professorship for science communication.
Get to know the University of Graz communication and public relations team.
Get oriented on the basics using toolkits and online portals:
- Guidelines for good science communication
- Collection of practical guidelines on various aspects of science communication
- AAAS Force For Science Toolkit: Science Communication and Public Engagement Fundamentals from the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF SCIENCE
NAWIK: 1×1 der Wissenschaftskommunikation: free information offer for researchers for an introduction to the topic of science communication